Gifted Identification Process
Process for Identifying Grade 2 Gifted Students
All second grade students will be screened through this comprehensive, multi-dimensional process which includes the following steps:
1. Teacher Observation
All students will be screened for gifted behaviors.
2. Group Reasoning Test
All students will be administered the Otis-Lennon School Ability Test.
3. Performance-Based Assessment (PBA)
All students will participate in tasks designed to reveal higher-level thinking skills.
For those students who demonstrate potential exemplary performance, further screening may include:
1. Screening Folder
Three examples of the candidate's best work will be collected and reviewed. Anecdotal records may be included as exemplars.
2. Parent Questionnaire
Parents will be asked to complete an assessment of their child's behavior.
3. Individual Intelligence Exam
This test will be given to students whose abilities need further clarification.
4. Observation/Lesson(s) by Workshop Teacher and/or other team member
5. Small group assessment and individual interviews by workshop teacher
6. A Planning and Placement Team meeting will be held in order to review all gathered information
Students demonstrating exemplary performance will be identified as gifted.
Grade 2 Identification Flow Chart