Gifted Identification Process
Process for Identifying Grade 2 Gifted Students
All second grade students will be screened through this comprehensive, multi-dimensional process which includes the following steps:
- Teacher Observation
All students will be screened for gifted behaviors.
- Group Reasoning Test
All students will be administered the Otis-Lennon School Ability Test.
- Performance-Based Assessment (PBA)
All students will participate in tasks designed to reveal higher-level thinking skills.
For those students who demonstrate potential exemplary performance, further screening may include:
- Screening Folder
Three examples of the candidate's best work will be collected and reviewed. Anecdotal records may be included as exemplars.
- Parent Questionnaire
Parents will be asked to complete an assessment of their child's behavior.
- Individual Intelligence Exam
This test will be given to students whose abilities need further clarification.
- Observation/Lesson(s) by Workshop Teacher and/or other team member
- Small group assessment and individual interviews by workshop teacher
- A Planning and Placement Team meeting will be held in order to review all gathered information
Students demonstrating exemplary performance will be identified as gifted.
Grade 2 Identification Flow Chart
Grades K, 1 and 3 - 8 Identification Flow Chart