The mission of the Health Services Department is to keep students physically, mentally, and socially healthy and ready to learn. The health staff provides services that promote wellness, promote independence and self-care, encourage healthy choices, as well as prevent, identify, manage, and minimize health related barriers to each child's education.
The Health Services Department is composed of school nurses, health assistants, a nursing supervisor and a medical director. The nurses provide direct care such as;
- Management of acute injuries and illness
- Medication administration
- Communicable disease management
- Management of Chronic Disease as needed
- Development and coordination of individualized health care plans
- State mandated health screenings
- Behavioral health supports
The school nurse in each building is an integral part of school teams such as the crisis team, school climate team and as a member of the pupil personnel staff. They support students in the Special Education Planning and Placement Team (PPT) process as well as students with Section 504 plans.
All school nurses are trained in RULER and Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) strategies to help support the emotional health of students within the health office.